Why join Seegrid?
Seegrid is the leading provider of self-driving industrial vehicles. We develop and deliver mobile robots and enterprise software for global leaders in logistics, manufacturing, warehousing, and e-commerce. Our suite of solutions includes vision-guided vehicles, fleet management software, actionable analytics, and best-in-class service and support. Our unique and proven technology sets us apart—our automation solutions have safely driven millions of autonomous miles in real production facilities without a single personnel safety incident. We are seeking energetic, bright, and friendly people to help achieve our vision: to fortify global supply chains and create profitable economies with safe, seamless, and smart mobile robotics solutions.
The Role: Localization Engineer
As a Localization Engineer on the Perception Team at Seegrid, you will take ownership of a core piece of our autonomy stack, the Grid Engine. The Grid Engine serves as Seegrid’s primary pose estimation system for all current self-driving industrial vehicles in our product line-up. The Grid Engine has been deployed worldwide in facilities, working 24 x 7, and enables essential business operations for some of the world’s largest brands. This role reports directly to the Director of Perception and will interface regularly with our Chief Scientist, Hans Moravec.
The successful candidate for this role will have a strong quantitative background as well as excellent software engineering skills in C++. We expect that the Localization Engineer will enjoy going deep on hard technical problems whose solutions require clever analytic approaches coupled with practical implementations on real hardware.
Core Responsibility for this role:
The Localization Engineer will help to develop and maintain Seegrid’s core algorithms for pose estimation using a variety of sensors to include stereo cameras and 3D LiDARs as well as to develop and maintain data processing pipelines for building facility maps. The initial focus will be on the Grid Engine, which is based on a stereo camera array.
The successful completion of your first year, looks like:
- You have an excellent understanding of the current implementation of the Grid Engine
- You have made several meaningful contributions to the C++ implementation of the Grid Engine that runs on our production trucks and have taken ownership of the code base
- Through collaboration with our Chief Scientist, you have a good understanding of how to train a new sensor model for the Grid Engine
- You have demonstrated your ability to effectively troubleshoot field issues related to the Grid Engine
Responsibilities will consist of:
- Design, develop, and extend real-time pose estimation algorithms that run on industrial autonomous vehicles
- Design, develop, and extend off-line learning algorithms to train new sensor models for the Grid Engine
- Ownership of the C++, production implementation of the Grid Engine
- MS or PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, or a related field
- 6+ years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent C++ programming and software engineering skills
- A solid grounding in state estimation problems
- A background in linear algebra, probability theory, optimization, and modern software libraries employing state-of-the art algorithms in each
- Experience in computer vision and/or working with 3D optical sensors (e.g., stereo cameras, LiDAR, etc.)
- Experience in working on autonomous vehicles in any field (e.g., AGVs, automotive, agriculture, etc.)
- Experience in multi-sensor calibration
- Experience with filtering algorithms (e.g., Kalman filter, particle filters, etc.)
Seegrid is embracing a remote workforce, so this position can be remotely located anywhere in the US or at HQ in Pittsburgh, PA. We have been recognized regionally and nationally as a Best-Place-to-Work and we are proud of our 97% employee retention rate. We’d love to have you join us!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Seegrid is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/People with Disabilities/Protected Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.