Seegrid is embracing a remote workforce, but this position is preferred to be in Pittsburgh or Eastern or Central time zones, but it can be remotely located anywhere in the US with periodic visits to Seegrid HQ in Pittsburgh, PA.
Seegrid is the leading provider of mobile industrial automation solutions for materials handling with over three million production miles driven in some of the world’s biggest companies. We combine vision-guided industrial vehicles, fleet management, and enterprise intelligence data into a platform that empowers our customers to automate and optimize material flow.
We put these autonomous vehicles to work today with an emphasis on safety, reliability, and flexibility. We are passionate about making our customers successful in deploying end-to-end automation solutions and foster a culture of collaboration, active and open communication, integrity, and respect. The challenges before us are great, but we are a high-performance team driven to change how the world does logistics.
As the Director of Vehicle Software, you will manage the organization responsible for the software that enables our vehicles to do safe, productive work for our customers. Including application, user interface, and vehicle core software teams, this product development group consists of a diverse range of expertise and roles. You will build and coach the teams that empower Seegrid’s vehicles, helping them to deliver value to our customers reliably and predictably.
We are seeking candidates with expertise in managing software delivery, driving the organizational, cultural, and process changes needed to identify inefficiencies and improve flow. You will coach the managers and teams in the group to help them succeed, providing clarity, detecting and resolving issues, instrumenting a framework for continuous improvement, and ensuring that the teams have what they need to deliver with quality, autonomy and purpose. You will have a high degree of ownership, a growth-oriented mindset, and a passion for enabling your teams, and Seegrid, to succeed.
What you’ll do at Seegrid:
- Lead multiple software development teams responsible for the software that automates our vehicle products.
- Promote software development practices that improve performance, deliver predictably, and maintain quality.
- Identify, recruit, interview and hire software engineers to help teams scale effectively to meet the needs of the product and technology roadmaps.
- Coach the members of your teams, providing ongoing feedback, tracking competencies, and guiding them in their professional development; be a multiplier and have a passion for team and team members’ success.
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders to promote organizational clarity, socialize development status, manage expectations, identify dependencies, and reconcile contention between competing priorities.
- Collaborate with Product and UX to deliver on software roadmaps predictably, balancing feature delivery with the health and quality of the products.
- Participate in software architectural, cross-functional coordination, and planning discussions with peers to maintain alignment and consistency across the platform.
- Effectively communicate and share understanding across engineering and business communities with lessons learned, issues and best practices.
- Manage processes for escalated field support issues.
Key experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- A proven history of technical, operational, and organizational leadership of multiple software delivery teams.
- Experience shipping commercial products using modern software development methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban, scaled agile frameworks, etc.
- A deep toolbox of modern software development methodologies, alternate project management approaches and the wisdom to understand when to apply which process to the problem at hand.
- Strong software engineering knowledge and demonstrated expertise in production environments, able to mentor such skills and competencies to junior and senior members of the vehicle software teams.
- Strong, general programming skills using modern C++ in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Ability to assess complex situations and coach teams to identify root causes and adapt processes and/or practices to improve.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain a culture of technical and delivery excellence by enabling teams to work with autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- 15+ years of industry experience of deploying real solutions to the market, preferably in an industry with a deployed product base.
- 10+ years of industry experience leading teams.
- Ability to occasionally travel to customer sites (warehouses and manufacturing plants).
- Work where you live. Preference for candidates in the eastern and central time zones, but all considered. If remote, will require periodic visits to Seegrid HQ in Pittsburgh, PA.