Senior Functional Systems Safety Engineer (USA Remote or Pittsburgh PA)
Why join Seegrid?
**Fast Company recently ranked Seegrid as one of the world's most innovative Robotics companies
Seegrid is the leading provider of self-driving industrial vehicles. We develop and deliver mobile robots and enterprise software for global leaders in logistics, manufacturing, warehousing, and e-commerce. Our suite of solutions includes vision-guided vehicles, fleet management software, actionable analytics, and best-in-class service and support. Our unique and proven technology sets us apart—our automation solutions have safely driven millions of autonomous miles in real production facilities without a single personnel safety incident. We are seeking energetic, bright, and friendly people to help achieve our vision: to fortify global supply chains and create profitable economies with safe, seamless, and smart mobile robotics solutions.
**This individual can work from anywhere in the United States or from our Corporate offices in Pittsburgh, PA
The Role: Senior Functional Safety Systems Engineer
The Senior Functional Safety Systems Engineer reports to the VP of Systems and Solutions Engineering. If you are experienced in and passionate about functional safety engineering standards, procedures, and methods and want to be a key contributor to advancing the safe collaboration of humans and machines in the red-hot industrial robotics market, then this is your opportunity.
Core Responsibility for this role:
You are confident in your ability to assess the safe functions of automatic equipment and be willing to drive engineering & product tradeoff decisions to protect the safety of our system, customers, and operators. You will understand the certification requirements for mobile robots in industrial environments, assess the risk of various applications, work collaboratively with other engineering functions to create functionally safe products and systems, and serve as a subject matter expert for product safety within the broader company.
The successful completion of your first year, looks like:
- Demonstrate fluency in the safety standards governing mobile industrial robotics such as ANSI B56.5 and RIA 15.08.
- Understand the current design and implementation of the functional safety system for Seegrid’s products.
- Build a risk assessment of new products/solutions in compliance with applicable safety standards (B56, RIA15.08, etc.)
- Train internal teams and external customers, as-needed, to ensure safe implementation and operation of Seegrid’s automation solutions.
- Define, in collaboration with Product and Engineering, a technology development plan to advance Seegrid’s functional safety system.
- Lead the development of processes to rapidly and effectively respond to incoming safety issues
Responsibilities will consist of:
- Carry out all necessary safety assessments and establish requirements for Seegrid automation solution safety system design.
- Develop and document the conceptual safety design and architecture for Seegrid’s collaborative robot and software solutions, at the systems, hardware, and software levels.
- Be a lead contributor to internal safety-related committees and engage with customers and customer-facing teams to provide supporting material regarding system safety.
- Support the development, evaluation, and testing of the safety-related functions
- Coordinate assessments from external certification authorities
- Collaborate with product development teams to integrate functional safety early in the design process.
- Engage with product teams to design a functional safety technology development plan that supports Seegrid’s product strategy and roadmap.
- Remain current on, and potentially directly influence, industry functional safety standards.
- You have an electrical, mechanical, software, or similar engineering degree and development experience in the field of electronics, embedded software, or systems design.
- You have work experience in a safety critical field and working knowledge of IEC 61508, ANSI B56.5, ISO 13849, and/or ISO 26262.
- Experience in working with external certification authorities, such as TÜV
- Most of all you have a drive to advance the state of functional safety in industrial robotics and the communication and collaboration skills to work across and outside the company to make this a reality.
- At least five years of experience with functional safety in collaborative industrial robotics.
- Experience in designing functionally safe system and software architecture and taking such systems through certification.
Seegrid is embracing a remote workforce, so this position can be remotely located anywhere in the US or at HQ in Pittsburgh, PA. We have been recognized regionally and nationally as a Best-Place-to-Work and we are proud of our 97% employee retention rate. We’d love to have you join us!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Seegrid is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/People with Disabilities/Protected Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.