Simulation Software Engineer (Remote or Pittsburgh)
Seegrid is the leading provider of self-driving industrial vehicles. We develop and deliver mobile robots and enterprise software for global leaders in logistics, manufacturing, warehousing, and e-commerce. Our suite of solutions includes vision-guided vehicles, fleet management software, actionable analytics, and best-in-class service and support. Our unique and proven technology sets us apart—our automation solutions have safely driven millions of autonomous miles in real production facilities without a single personnel safety incident. We are seeking energetic, bright, and friendly people to help achieve our vision: to fortify global supply chains and create profitable economies with safe, seamless, and smart mobile robotics solutions.
The Role: Simulation Software Engineer
As a Simulation Software Engineer, you will significantly contribute to our integration with and use of high-fidelity simulation. The simulation team is responsible for continually expanding the footprint of simulation by enabling simulation of ever-larger functional areas & environment types, as well as working alongside product development teams to accelerate their integration and intelligent use of simulation. You will be responsible for identifying and defining technical problems related to simulation, creatively solving them, and working closely with the users of simulation to continuously improve our collective use of it. You will help the team execute to the roadmap and actively investigate new ways to integrate simulation tools into Seegrid’s workflows. Technical tasks will range from adding and optimizing hooks deep within our robot control code to the challenges of a complex simulation CI/CD toolchain operating at scale in the cloud: this role is highly dynamic and variable, both in the type of work and the people you will work alongside. If you’re passionate about simulation and how to leverage it, this is the role for you! This position reports to the lead of the simulation team.
Core Responsibility for this role:
Provide significant technical contributions in the areas of simulation, integration, and the corresponding CI/CD pipeline.
The successful completion of your first year looks like:
- Develop a deep technical understanding of our simulation environment, robot-side tech stack, and CI/CD pipeline
- Make key and ongoing technical contributions to ongoing simulation development efforts
- Integrate into Seegrid’s unique technology development process, while building a thorough understanding of the material handling domain
- Engage with other teams to provide simulation expertise, broaden your knowledge, and establish working relationships
Responsibilities will consist of:
- Design, build, and maintain simulation hooks, scenarios, and the associated testing pipeline
- Serve as a subject matter expert and consult with development and testing teams on the use of simulation
- Expand the testable surface by extending existing simulation tactics
- Maintain connections with simulation users throughout the company to help improve utilization and inform the roadmap
- Socialize the impact and utility of new internal and vendor-supplied simulation features
- Ensure training and documentation are available to all users
- Be an integral part of the engineering team building the next generation of mobile robots
- Education / Experience:
- Either an advanced degree in Computer Science or a related discipline with 2+ years of relevant experience
- OR an undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline with 4+ years of relevant experience
- OR 6+ years of relevant experience
- Expert in C++ and Python
- Experience with automated testing and CI/CD pipelines
- Significant expertise in at least one technical area, preferably from the Desired Experience list
- Thorough knowledge of Linux
- Ability to clearly explain and communicate complex technical topics in writing and verbally
The ideal candidate is a strong developer and communicator: while the below areas are not required, prior expertise in one or more of these areas is strongly preferred. Please identify any relevant strengths in your cover letter.
- Experience with simulation in a complex domain (ideally robotics)
- Complex Docker / Kubernetes systems
- System simulation
- Complex automated testing
- Software architecture
- Hardware in the loop testing
- Vendor management
- Project management
- Data visualization
- User interface design and/or development
Seegrid is embracing a remote workforce, so this position can be remotely located anywhere in the US or at HQ in Pittsburgh, PA. We have been recognized regionally and nationally as a Best-Place-to-Work and we are proud of our 97% employee retention rate. We’d love to have you join us!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Seegrid is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/People with Disabilities/Protected Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.