Senior Research Software Engineer
Why join Seegrid?
Seegrid is the leading provider of self-driving industrial vehicles. We develop and deliver mobile robots and enterprise software for global leaders in logistics, manufacturing, warehousing, and e-commerce. Our suite of solutions includes vision-guided vehicles, fleet management software, actionable analytics, and best-in-class service and support. Our unique and proven technology sets us apart—our automation solutions have safely driven millions of autonomous miles in real production facilities without a single personnel safety incident. We are seeking energetic, bright, and friendly people to help achieve our vision: to fortify global supply chains and create profitable economies with safe, seamless, and smart mobile robotics solutions.
The Role: Senior Research Software Engineer (Blue Labs)
As a Senior Research Software Engineer at Seegrid, you will be an integral part of Blue Labs, which is tasked with both long-range speculative research and risk mitigation for shorter-term projects that involve significant uncertainty. You will report to the lead of one of our Labs teams. This role is highly dynamic and variable, with projects ranging from embedded and robot control development to user interface prototyping to web backend development. The successful candidate will be a well-rounded software engineer with a deep background in software development, at least one area of significant expertise, and will excel at design, rapid prototyping, and experimentation. Adaptability is key, as projects and domains will change regularly. We can guarantee a zero probability of boredom in this role! If you’re interested in everything, enjoy solving hard problems, and are looking for a challenge, this is the job for you!
Core Responsibility for this role:
Provide significant technical contributions and technical leadership as part of a team exploring new ideas and mitigating risk.
The successful completion of your first year looks like:
- Key technical contributions to one or more fast paced R&D efforts, usually ending in a functional demonstrator or prototype
- Participate in at least one discovery project, where an idea or area is explored
- Build an operational knowledge of Seegrid’s code base & tooling
- Integrate into Seegrid’s unique technology development process, while building a thorough understanding of the material handling domain.
- Engage with other teams to broaden your knowledge and establish working relationships
Responsibilities will consist of:
- Conceive, propose, review, and execute projects advancing the state of the art in robotics as part of an agile cross-functional team
- Provide technical leadership in your areas of expertise
- Rapidly iterate and experiment with potential features, concepts, and products
- Communicate your results to technical and non-technical audiences
- Participate in design and code reviews across the company
- Be an integral part of the engineering team building the next generation of mobile robots
- Education / Experience:
- Either an advanced degree in Computer Science or a related discipline with 5+ years of relevant experience
- OR an undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline with 8+ years of relevant experience
- OR 10+ years of relevant experience
- Great communication skills, both written and oral
- Significant expertise in at least one technical area, preferably from the Desired Experience list
- Expert in C++, Python, or another modern object-oriented language
- Experience with rapid prototyping and experimentation
- Thorough knowledge of Linux
- Ability to clearly explain and communicate complex technical topics
The ideal candidate will be an expert in one or more of the below areas, but as the team members are intended to complement one another, please call out any other areas of expertise in your cover letter.
- Computer vision
- Data aggregation & processing
- Embedded software development
- General robotics experience
- Machine learning
- Messaging frameworks
- Parallel programming
- Planning & scheduling algorithms
- Robotics motion control
- Software architecture
- Systems integration
- User interface design / development
Seegrid is embracing a remote workforce, so this position can be remotely located anywhere in the US or at HQ in Pittsburgh, PA. We have been recognized regionally and nationally as a Best-Place-to-Work and we are proud of our 97% employee retention rate. We’d love to have you join us!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Seegrid is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/People with Disabilities/Protected Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.